Pakistani cuisine is renowned for its rich and diverse flavors, and one of its most beloved appetizers is the Chicken Shami Kabab. These delectable patties are made from ground chicken, lentils, and a blend of aromatic spices. Whether you’re planning a festive gathering or simply craving a flavorful snack, this recipe will surely satisfy your taste buds. So, let’s dive into the world of Pakistani cuisine and learn how to make these mouthwatering Chicken Shami Kababs.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Chicken Shami Kabab Recipe
High Protein Content: Chicken is a lean source of protein, making these kababs an excellent choice for those looking to increase their protein intake. Protein is essential for muscle growth, repair, and overall body function.
Rich in Dietary Fiber: Chana dal (split Bengal gram) is a good source of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
Balanced Nutrition: This recipe combines both chicken and lentils, providing a balance of animal and plant-based proteins, making it suitable for a well-rounded diet.
Abundance of Essential Nutrients: The use of fresh herbs like cilantro and mint adds vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to the dish, contributing to overall health and well-being.
Low in Unhealthy Fats: Shallow frying the kababs instead of deep-frying them keeps the fat content relatively low, making them a healthier option compared to fried snacks.
Aromatic Spices: The blend of aromatic spices not only enhances the flavor but also offers potential health benefits. For instance, ginger and garlic are known for their immune-boosting properties, and spices like turmeric have anti-inflammatory effects.
Customizable Spice Level: You can adjust the spiciness of the kababs by controlling the amount of green chilies or red chili powder, catering to your personal taste and tolerance.
Versatility: Chicken Shami Kababs can be served as an appetizer, snack, or even as part of a main course. Their versatility makes them suitable for various occasions and meal options.
Chicken Shami Kabab Recipe
- For Chicken Shami Mixture:
- 500g ground chicken
- 1 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram), soaked for 2 hours
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2-3 finely chopped green chilies (according to your personalspice preference)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- tbsp cooking oil
- For Coating:
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Boil the Chana Dal: Drain the soakedchana dal and boil it until it becomes tender. It should be soft but not mushy Remove any extra water, then set it aside.
- Cook the Chicken: In a large pan, heatsome oil and add the ground chicken. Stir-fry it until it turns white and startsto release its juices. Add minced garlic, ginger, and chopped onions. Sautéuntil the onions become translucent.
- Spice it Up: Add cumin seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, redchili powder, garam masala, and salt to the chicken mixture. Cook for a fewmore minutes until the spices are well combined, and the chicken is fullycooked.
- Combine Chicken and Dal: In a food processor, combine the cooked chicken mixture andboiled chana dal. Blend until you achieve a smooth and homogenous mixture.
- Add Fresh Herbs: Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add choppedcilantro and mint leaves. Mix well.
- Shape the Kababs: Take a portion ofthe mixture and shape it into round or oval patties. You can make them as bigor small as you prefer.
- Coat and Fry: Dip each kabab in beaten eggs, ensuring it's fully coated,and then roll it in bread crumbs to form a crispy outer layer.
- Fry Until Golden: Heat oil in a fryingpan and shallow fry the kababs on medium heat until they turn golden brown onboth sides. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
Serving Tips for Chicken Shami Kababs
Serve the chicken shami kababs with a side of fresh mint chutney. Mint chutney complements the flavors of the kababs and provides a refreshing contrast.
Thinly slice some onions and sprinkle them with a pinch of salt and lemon juice. These tangy onions make a perfect accompaniment to the kababs.
Offer lemon wedges alongside the kababs for those who prefer a zesty kick. Squeezing a bit of lemon juice over the kababs enhances their taste.
Naan or Roti:
You can also serve chicken shami kababs wrapped in warm naan or roti as a delightful roll or sandwich. Add some lettuce, cucumber, and yogurt-based sauce for a complete meal.
Salad: A simple side salad with cucumber, tomatoes, and lettuce dressed with a light vinaigrette can provide a refreshing and healthy contrast to the kababs.
Raita: A cool and creamy cucumber or mint raita is another excellent choice for serving with these kababs. Its soothing effect balances the spices in the dish.
Platter Presentation: Arrange the chicken shami kababs on a platter garnished with fresh herbs like cilantro and mint leaves for an appealing visual presentation.
Family Style: These kababs are great for family-style dining, allowing everyone to customize their servings with their preferred condiments and sides.
Discover our mouthwatering chapli kabab recipe on our site to savor the flavors of this special Pakistani delight.
These Chicken Shami Kababs are a true testament to the rich and flavorful world of Pakistani cuisine. With the perfect blend of spices and the goodness of chicken and lentils, they make for an irresistible appetizer or snack. So, the next time you want to tantalize your taste buds, give this recipe a try and savor the authentic taste of Pakistan in your own kitchen. Enjoy!